Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dale Carnegie

,,

I regularly read or at least skim the latest titles for business books hoping to pick up some hints or ideas to pass on to our clients.

We have all heard of Dale Carnegie books, and if you are like me, you probably scoffed at reading them. On practically a lark, I picked up a copy of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. I certainly did not expect it to provide me anything I did not already know. Surprisingly, it was very good. The stories were somewhat corny, and the writing breathless, but the content was relevant, lacking in jargon and avoided all references to the latest - or any -business theory.

Instead it gave practical advice that we each can use every day: How to handle people, Six ways to make people like you, Win people to your way of thinking, and How to lead.

And if you say "why should I care what you think, Rickelman?" - then how about Joel on Software's Joel Spolsky?

I hate recommending a lot of books for entrepreneurs since they usually are too busy to read. But this is one they should skim.

Heartened, I recently completed How to Stop Worrying and Start Living which contained more useful advice.

So: easy read, good info, no jargon. A great recipe for any book, let alone books that will help you persuade others to your view and help you better intereact with them.

No comments: